Welcome to the Turquoise Room considered by many
to be the finest Restaurant in the Four Corners Region
Custom Blend Coffees
& Full Breakfast
& Picnic to Go Boxes
Fred Harvey Inspired
International & Local
from the Martini Bar
A Brief History of the Turquoise Room
In 1997 Allan Affeldt & Tina Mion acquired La Posada from the Santa Fe Railway. It had been closed for forty years. From 1930 to 1957 the Fred Harvey dining room at La Posada had been the finest in the region. La Posada was gutted in 1961 and turned into regional offices for the Santa Fe Railroad. Nothing was left of the once fabulous interiors designed by Mary Colter. Allan and Tina wanted to bring fine dining back to the grand hotel, but nobody thought it was possible.
Allan & Tina convinced their old friend John Sharpe to take on the project. John was one of the most famous restaurateurs in Southern California, with fancy restaurants all over Orange County. It took three years for them to design and renovate the old dining and kitchen spaces and they reopened in 2000. But what would they call the restaurant? READ MORE…
The Super Chief was the deluxe train between Los Angeles and Chicago. It was called ‘the train of the stars’ because of all the rich and famous guests. The Santa Fe Railway commissioned their first dome cars – six ‘Pleasure Domes’ – for Super Chief. All were built in 1950 by the Pullman Standard Company and were among the most expensive.